Tuesday, June 4, 2013

On Being a Good Barista

This blog is mostly the writing of The Fiddling Barista but all the girls have been invited to write. Here follows some beautiful thoughts from The Blonde Brewista. [T.F.B.]


So, I thought some of you would like to hear a little from our (meaning my) point of view of being a Barista of the Black Water Loft Team. Ever since I was little I dreamed of being the cool hipster girl who went and got coffee on the street corner, who did her "homework," and drank coffee for hours... (I also dreamed of having a baby blue Volkswagen Beetle and a mini Yorkie named Lucy but our stories are ever changing...)

When I was interviewed for this job 2 years ago I thought my dream would finally come true. I was wrong... It was even better than I imagined!

I, personally, was only looking for the stereotype of what society thinks a "Hipster-Barista," is but I learned many Barista Lessons over my training that made me rethink what being a Barista really was. The first rule my manager taught me was, "If you screw up a drink and are on the edge of tears? DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT!!! Just breathe, throw it away, and start over." This being the most scariest truth became a reality to me when I worked my first afternoon shift alone.

It was a Sunday...
In the middle of summer...
The days were hot and...
Wait this isn't a military movie!

The second Barista rule I learned was you WILL learn how to multitask. Nowadays multitasking refers to talking, texting, and socializing but for a Barista its a whole different ball game. The definition for us is being able to take orders while making a One shot, Decaf, Non-fat, Latte Frappuchino,  with whipped cream of course!!! Me being a newby at this scared the BUH-JEEBERS out of me. But over time and lots of practice (and explosions) I learned how to "Barista Multitask."

The third golden Barista rule was to keep an open mind.  Meaning: be able to invent a new drink for a local who wants something different for a change; listen to people's life stories if they're willing to tell them; be able to ask the right questions when needed; be there for others who are struggling and having the worst day of their lives; or just offer a cup of joe to the exhausted parent who has been up with a baby all night. This rule was essential to me in becoming the the Barista I am today: I love to listen to others. I love hearing their stories and hoping one day I will have just as amazing a life as they had.

Being a Barista is not just serving coffee to the public: it's learning how to do many things at one time, learning how to stop and take breath when things go wrong around you, being a friendly ear to a total stranger and possibly make a new friend at the same time. Although my ideas of a Barista have changed, I believe, hands down, that it is for the better.


                                              A Latte Love,
                                                The Blonde Brewrista <3


No comments:

Post a Comment